June 12, 2020
Hello Seniors and Senior Families,
As the 2019-2020 school year comes to a close, I am following up on prior communications about Graduation and the pickup and return of belongings to the school.
There have been continuous meetings over the last several weeks with the Graduation Committee and Subcommittee. Foremost in the minds of all members was to provide the graduating class of 2020 with the best possible ceremony with the tradition and dignity the Seniors deserve. Meanwhile, we needed to navigate the frequent changes of NY State guidelines to appropriately plan this event within those restrictions. As a result, I am pleased to share with you the details of the outdoor Graduation Ceremony and Celebrations that have been planned for the class of 2020.
- Seniors will be driven by their parents for arrival at Town Park at approximately 3:30 p.m. on June 26th and line up in a predetermined order (time is tentative as we continue to plan and more details will be forthcoming).
- Cars will then proceed along Main Street for a Wave Parade that will also pass through the elementary school and continue to Route 145.
- Upon arrival at the entrance of the high school, attendants will direct the cars to park in assigned parking spaces.
- Graduates will be directed to line up for procession while parents remain in their vehicles.
- Graduation exercises will begin at 6 p.m. when Seniors begin processing to the seating area.
- Graduates will be seated six feet apart in front of a staging area. Upon conferral of diplomas, graduates’ names will be called and parents will be brought to the staging area to take pictures.
- Upon conclusion of the ceremony, attendants will direct drivers to leave in the same manner in which they arrived.
Important Note: A parent must be driving the car and only one car is permitted per graduate. Based on the COVID-19 Graduation Ceremony directives, only 150 people are allowed to be outside during the ceremony. This necessitates the requirement that parents remain in their cars until they are called to be present for the conferral of their child’s diploma.
In lieu of the traditional rehearsal, there will be a Zoom Meeting for all Seniors on Monday, June 22, 2020 at 7 p.m. During this meeting, all of the specific steps regarding the graduation ceremony will be reviewed. A link will be emailed on Friday, June 19, 2020. There is a 100 person limit with Zoom meets, so please log on with a parent on the same computer to allow for everyone to participate
Those specific details will also be shared in that email on June 19th and included in the materials Seniors will be provided during their Belongings Exchange Day, which will take place on Wednesday, June 24 from 8:30-2:30.
Belongings Exchange & Check-out
Seniors are scheduled to report to school on Wednesday, June 24th from 8:30-2:30 to complete the following steps:
- Return all textbooks and Chromebooks
- Complete the necessary steps required by Guidance
- Return all sports uniforms
- Return all Media Center items
Upon completion of these check-out items, Seniors will receive their cap, gown, and tickets. Seniors will also receive the specific details regarding the graduation ceremony that will have been outlined in the Zoom meeting.
Congratulations on the culmination of all your hard work. It is a pleasure to be a part of this process as you celebrate this milestone. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Dr. Paula T. McKeown
Cairo-Durham High School