The Cairo-Durham Central School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-d, parents, legal guardians and persons in parental relation to a student are entitled to certain rights with regard to their child’s personally identifiable information. The District wishes to inform the school community of the following rights:
- A student’s personally identifiable information (PII) cannot be sold or released for any commercial purpose.
- The right to inspect and review the complete contents of the student’s education record stored or maintained by an educational agency.
- State and federal laws, such as NYS Education Law §2-d and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, that protect the confidentiality of a student’s PII, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by NYSED is available for public review at www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security, and by writing to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- The right to have complaints about possible breaches and unauthorized disclosures of student data addressed. Complaints may be submitted to NYSED online at www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security, by mail to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234, by email to email@example.com, or by telephone at 518-474-0937.
- To be notified in accordance with applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of their student’s PII occurs.
- Educational agency workers that handle PII will receive training on applicable state and federal laws, the educational agency’s policies, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices that protect PII.
- Educational agency contracts with vendors that receive PII will address statutory and regulatory data privacy and security requirements.